Artistic Director and Conductor Position Opening
Handel Choir of Baltimore (HCB) is a highly respected 52-member auditioned community-based oratorio ensemble that presents baroque, classical and early romantic works with period instrument orchestras as well as modern repertoire and newly commissioned works. Handel Choir has a 78-year history in the Baltimore cultural landscape.
Successful applicants should demonstrate the following qualifications: masters or doctorate in music, preferably in choral conducting; 3 years or more experience conducting college/university or community vocal ensembles; extensive orchestral experience within major choral-orchestral repertoire; evidence of excellent understanding of vocal technique and diction.
Primary responsibilities of the Artistic Director and Conductor include:
- Provides overall artistic leadership for Handel Choir
- Oversees all artistic aspects including choice of repertoire
- Prepares for and conducts rehearsals and concerts; coaches guest artists and soloists
- Auditions and selects new chorus members and re-auditions current members
- Auditions, selects and contracts artistic personnel including orchestra contractor, guest vocal soloists and quartet of professional choristers
- Serves as the primary artistic spokesperson for the organization, represents Handel Choir in media appearances, and participates in community activities that further the positive reputation of the organization
- Works collaboratively with the managing director
- Works collaboratively with the Board of Trustees to support organizational activities including, but not limited to, collaboration with the Board artistic committee and on selected Board initiatives
Compensation negotiable and commensurate with experience. Applications should be submitted to . The application must include:
- Letter of application
- Curriculum vitae
- Names of three references (with full title, email and phone number)
- List of repertoire of works conducted in the last three years (Do not send programs, DVDs or recordings at this time).
Applications will be reviewed beginning November 15th until the position is filled.